More than just coaches

Reecently the question was asked "Why can't people just go and get paid?" This in reference to coaches and players who are offered more money to change venues. However with all the tributes to John Wooden recently and in seeing a tearful Derrick Nix saying he doesn't want Coach Izzo to leave it makes me further ponder how important life is than just money. I personally said I would leave Michigan State if I were Izzo I mean it is a 3 million dollar raise (who wouldn't want that). However a few shows ago I was the person advocating that coaches need to be honest to families and fulfill the commitment they promised unlike Lane Kiffen. So where do we go from here? Should Izzo stay or should he go? I truly do not have the answer. Part of me says SHOW ME THE MONEY! and the other part of me sees that young man's face weeping because he wants his coach to stay. You see a Derrick Nix, Bill Walton, and a Kareem Abdul Jabar crying about their coaches. I never cried about any of my bleeping coaches (I cried about playing time lol), but anyway this shows how much these guys really mean to the players beyond the game. I feel like the well being of young men at times depends on their coach. I remember Keith Van Horn experiencing a tragedy, I believe it was the death of his dad and Coach Rick Majerus broke the news to him because Van Horn's mom felt that he was more appropriate to tell him. Again another example of how these men are not only coaches, but father figures, friends, counselor's, and mentors. I still feel torn, but I think that if Izzo decides to stay I would be more at ease than if he takes the Cavs job. What would you do if you were Izzo? Leave young men who depend on and trust you, leave a community who supports you or go and get paid, achieve higher success, and work with some of the greatest athletes in the world, potentially the most gifted player in NBA history. We all know that change isn't always easy, but with so many who depend on you I think that makes this possible change even tougher. The student's of MSU held a rally for Izzo yesterday, in all that I said I didn't even mention the student body he would leave behind. WOW these men are really more than just coaches. So I ask again if your Tom Izzo what would you do? Ray Rogers
DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT THAT URBAN SPORTS SCENE EACH AND EVERY WEEK!
PS: I know that Izzo would not have the same job security in the NBA, but let's be real he will always have a job somewhere as long as he has the desire to coach.





Comments

  1. There are many factors into Izzo's decision including a big one, his family. Also a shot at coaching at the next level along with the possibility of coaching Lebron James isn't a bad gig. Some will also argue that he owe's MSU nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts